Every year, Pinterest compiles a handy list of emerging search terms that it predicts will be the major trends over the following 12 months. The company released its Pinterest 100 report in December, forecasting what people on the Internet (and on its platform) will likely be engaging with in 2019, based on its users’ search data and behavior. It covers everything from travel and food to home decor and, yes, beauty and fashion. On the apparel and accessories fronts, it predicted that trends like statement sneakers, bike shorts, and snake prints would rule—something that, only a few months into the year, has been confirmed by Fashion Week, street style, and celebrity outfits. Ahead, we break down the Pinterest’s top 10 fashion predictions for 2019, and all the ways you can shop ’em.
All products featured on Glamour are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
· Bamboo Bags
- The Cult Gaia effect will continue to show in 2019: According to Pinterest, searches for “bamboo bags” are up 2,215 percent—so you can expect to see even more of them on your feeds in the new year.
· Cult Gaia Bamboo Circle Bag
· Topshop Flint Wooden Tote Bag
· ASOS Design Bamboo Square Boxy Clutch Bag
· Statement Sneakers
- Balenciaga’s Triple S sneakers sent the fashion crowd spiraling, trying to get their hands on a pair of chunky $895 kicks. (“There’s not a dinner I go to where a father or someone [doesn’t] say ‘Stop releasing these shoes, it’s out of control, we spend too much money at Balenciaga,’ which I’m very happy with,” the brand’s CEO Cedric Charbit said at a conference.) More broadly, it, along with brands like Escada and Opening Ceremony, reignited an interest in this particular kind of footwear: Searches for “statement sneakers” are up 2,211 percent, per Pinterest.
· Reebok Daytona DMX x MISBHV
· Superga Multicolored Platform Sneakers
· How Milan Fashion Week Showgoers Style This Fall’s Biggest Trends
· Ash Addict Trainers
· Bike Shorts
- If you followed the spring 2019 runways closely, you couldn’t escape bike shorts, which cropped up everywhere from Maryam Nassir Zadeh to Fendi. And the folks on Pinterest are intrigued: Searches for “biker shorts” have increased 1,323 percent.
· Good American Icon High Waist Biker Shorts
· Out From Under All Day Bike Short
- Urban Outfitter
· Onzie High Rise Bike Shorts
· Wrapdresses and Robe Coats
- Summer’s favorite silhouette, the wrapdress, makes way for fall’s coziest coat, the robe—and in 2019 you can expect to see a lot more of both, as Pinterest reports that searches for “robe silhouettes” are up 689 percent.
· Ganni Printed Crepe Dress
· Free People Sierra Wool Coat
- Free People
· Stelen Nell Printed Robe Dress
- Need Supply
· Tortoise Jewelry
- “Tortoise earrings” are popular among the Pinterest audience, as users searches increased 679 percent in 2018 on the platform.
· Machete Franco Clare Earrings
· The Gem Co. Acrylic Tortoise Rectangle and Circle Post Statement Earrings
· Baublebar Deidre Resin Hoop Earrings
· Snake Prints
- You’ve likely already accepted snakeskin prints into your life as an alternative to classic leopard. Pinterest predicts the trend will have legs in 2019 too, with searches for “snake print” up 642 percent.
· ASOS DESIGN Curve Snake Mac
· Topshop Rok It Snake Print Coat
· Mango Snake Print Skirt
· Oval Sunglasses
- If you’re in the market for new eyewear, consider the top trending silhouette on Pinterest: “oval sunglasses,” a search term that’s increased 591 percent on the platform.
· Quay Australia See Me Smile 50mm Cat Eye Sunglasse
· Ray-Bans Oval Flat Lens Sunglasses
· H&M Oval Sunglasses
· African Prints
- According to Pinterest, there’s been an increased interest in African wax prints and kitenges—searches for “African prints” on the site are up 229 percent—so you can look forward to seeing more of them in 2019.
· Maison Chateau Rouge Wax Overalls
· Zuri Hypnosis Dress
· Stella Jean Patterned Cami
- Another major trend from the spring 2019 runways that made Pinterest’s annual roundup: ruching, with searches up 108 percent.
· Unique 21 Hero Floral Ruched Maxi Dress
· Chriselle Lim Ren Ruched Skirt
· Rodarte x Universal Standard Dress
- Universal Standard
· Sustainable Fashion
- Sustainability is a constant topic of conversation in the fashion industry—and in 2019 it might have a bigger impact among consumers, if Pinterest data tells us anything: Searches for “sustainable fashion” increased 34 percent.
· Everlane The Cocoon Coat
· Patagonia Woolyester Fleece Pullover